A Quick History of Some of My Favorite Builds

Welcome to my blog.  I have been bad with chronicling my work over the last few years.  A big part of this was being very busy with life (including moving, renovations, and completing a Master degree).  I am still rather busy, but I am going to try to do better to share my work.  To kick things off, I wanted to show a few of my past projects.

In the past I have cosplayed with friends for things like Halloween, and random parties.  Most of these were just found clothes projects with the odd prop thrown in.  I have always enjoyed armoured characters, and my first armour cosplay was a Space Marine Scout from the Warhammer 40k universe.  This costume was also for my first nerd convention.  Some friends and I had never been to any conventions before, and ended up going to DragonCon in Atlanta.  I would also get to meet members of a 40k costuming group I am part of (www.obscuruscrusade.com), so I was inspired to actually have a costume to meet them in.

So I did a speed build of the scout marine.  It turned out pretty well for how fast I built it, and how new I was to the techniques and materials.  It was a lot of fun to wear, even while boiling in it while marching in the DragonCon parade (Atlanta in August gets pretty warm).  Having caught the Con bug, I began attending the Calgary Comic Expo, where I got to wear it around again.  Here are some pictures from both events.

D*Con 2011

Calgary Expo 2012

After that, I began working on a real space marine.  The scouts are cool, but I wanted a full set of armour.  So I expanded on my foam fabrication skills, and went bigger.  I built the suit to fit me, so it is smaller than true scale, but it was (mostly) comfortable to wear, and I had good mobility.  I painted it in Raven Guard colours, and showed it off at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo in 2013.  It was a blast to tour around in that suit.  I also entered it in the costume competition, where I won a Judge's Choice Award.  That was icing on the cake of an excellent convention.  I wore the suit around at a few conventions in Saskatoon, and Edmonton afterwards, but it has been through several moves, and is pretty beat up these days.  It still works as a display piece, but I can't really wear it anymore without fear of wrecking it.  Here are some of my favorite pictures of it.





The bolter (see Big Space Gun) I built for that armour was my first go at molding and casting an item.  The original gun was solid wood, and was beastly heavy.  So I made a silicone mold of it, and cast a hollow copy in resin.  The mold I made was too thin, so it came apart in the process.  But, it worked to get me one pull at least.  In 2015, I continued learning the mold/cast process when I made some replica pistols from Mass Effect.  I have a friend who is a big fan of Mass Effect (as am I), and he wanted to do a Shepard cosplay, so I offered to build him pistols.  We decided on the Paladin/Carnifex.  I built the master out of foam, then made a two part silicone mold.  I cast two pistols for him, and a number of other ones for people afterwards.  The mold was way better this time, and it is still functional.  Here are a few of the pistols I have made with it.



That is a quick version of my cosplay highlights.  I have a very long list of things I would like to build, both costumes and props.  But I have been busy with completing my studies, and renovating my house and yard.  I will do my best to keep this blog updated with my projects as I go along.  I think my next few posts will show off some of my renovations as they are nearing the end.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renovations Are Like Cosplay For Your House... Right?